Thursday, March 1, 2007

Alarming

I woke up at 3:30 this morning wondering why 1. The cat had embedded all of her claws in my head and, 2. Why there was an ambulance in the bedroom with us. As I finally started to be come coherent I realized the tornado siren across the street was going off.

Well shit.

I scrambled out of bed, threw a sweatshirt on backwards, stumbled into sweatpants and found my socks. I grabbed pillows from the bed and threw them in the hall bath. I grabbed the weather radio and herded cat and dog into the hall bath.

A colleague at work had been urging me to get a weather radio. With the nasty stuff coming in last night, I did make a trip over to Radio Shack. I have to say I'm impressed with the gadget I got. It's a Eton Red Cross Weather Radio. It has two TV bands, AM, FM and all the NOAA Weather bands. It also has a light, a siren, a cell phone charger and a hand crank that charges the NiCAD batteries if your alkalines are dead. Well worth the $49.99 I paid for it.

And yes, yes I do feel like an utter geek, but I'll be a safe geek.

Huddled in the bath with the dog and cat I remembered last March when that particularly bad storm rolled through. I remember it vividly because it was my birthday. We spent the entire night in our basement waiting for the storms to pass. At least last night it was a very short period of time. I was back in bed by 5:15 ... only to have to get up at 6:30.

On the lighter side, the danger seems to have passed. The weather frogs are now predicting colder temps. Oh joy.

1 comment:

wikiChick said...

I've been thinking of buying the radio you describe since the ice storm. Thanks for the post and the reminder to get off my butt and get 'r done!

Kathy
http://wikichick.blogspot.com